Getting ready for the move –
In the weeks leading up to the move I traveled most of the time. It’s not easy going through everything you owned to figure out what would we keep, but to do it while travelling yourself and working full time, it was pretty near impossible. Imagine my relief when hubby found a large home, with garage and a room to use as an office, instead of the 3 bedroom tiny condos we had been looking at. I knew then that everything would be OK. I didn't have to get rid of anything – ya right. But at least the pressure was off.
I started a new craft to keep me occupied at night while hubby was gone as well. I had always wanted to do something with the kids event t-shirts, but I knew a quilt wasn't my style or forte, and frankly we had gotten rid of the t-shirts as they became worn or outgrown. But I had a supply of about 30 Girl Scout and race shirts of my own that I would not likely wear again. I decided on a multicolored latch hook rug that I had seen so many posts for. I had all the supplies. I spent a couple evenings cutting 1 x 4 inch strips. Each shirt made about 220 pieces. With the size rug I was making I figured I needed to cut 25 shirts. Not wanting to end up short and having a block of one color, I went ahead and cut up all 30 shirts. I tumbled the pieces in the dryer to remove the fluff and mix them up. If you plan on doing this, clean the lint trap every 5 minutes. Then I dumped everything into a bag. Got my supplies, looked at a couple of sites that had tutorials, and started. I discovered this to actually be a good travel craft. I filled a gallon size Ziploc bag with pieces, and packed the rug, hook and pieces in my suitcase. Not so good if you are tight on a plane, but I usually check my bag, so it worked out great. I have about 1/9th complete, and now it sits by my couch waiting to be worked on. I haven’t touched it since the move. I think tonight’s the night.
The Move, and the mess
We put our house on the market October 16th. We thought it would take 6 months to sell. I spent the first weekend packing up lots of little things, and most of my kid’s stuff, to get the house ready to show. This also meant cleaning the craft room for real. I thought I had everything all nicely organized and ready for the move. We had a pending contract by November 13th. We still hadn't found a new home and we were supposed to close the first week of December. Fortunately for me, the bank is slow.
We moved the week before Christmas. I had separated out a few crafts that I thought I would work on before Christmas. I did manage to make a mini scrapbook of all the castles my daughter had visited in 2012. I haven’t touched anything else.
After the move, my son came home for Christmas, he declared that he would unpack all the boxes in the office and get it set up. I was rather skeptic, most of the boxes were craft stuff. Amazingly, not only did he get all the boxes but 2 unpacked, he put away all my scrapbook/paper supplies and did and pretty good job of it. After he left I had to reorganize a little, to make it my own. That left 2 boxes in the office, and 2 more in the garage. Hubby helped me unpack the 2 boxes. We discovered the file cabinet drawers wouldn't open or close. After a lot of effort we got them open and emptied. The office is a mess, and I still have 2 more boxes to go. My goal today, get the current stuff put away, and figure out the file cabinet. Tomorrow will be the last two boxes, and then I craft.